Motorola Device XOOM Device Driver – Part Two, Windows XP

My flashbuilder 4.6 project was moved to my windows xp machine and I had to reinstall the XOOM device drivers again. This time I ran into more issues but I am going to document what I did, so when I deploy more apps to the device I can follow these directions.

The same site XOOM drivers in my previous post for windows 7, still holds for downloading the drivers. The download file MotoHelper_2.1.40_Driver_5.5.0.exe contains the msi file, Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.5.0_32bit.msi, which is used to install the XOOM drivers. This motorola website Installing Motorola Handset USB Drivers also allowed you to download the usb drivers in msi format but I think the previous website was all encompassing.

My biggest problem with the XOOM was when I put the device in debug mode, the os wanted to always reinstall the drivers. I finally just wound up ignoring the request and flashbuilder was able to debug it on the device. I must have messed up during the installation of the drivers and I think the main item to be aware of is to make sure that the motorola device is not asleep when you connect it. XOOM not recognized was my problem as well. As soon as I put it in debug mode, it would try to reinstall the drivers. I would point to the directory on my pc that had the installed motorola drivers

Motorola Drivers Directory

Image illustrating the location of the motorola drivers which were installed

and it would not be able to find the device if the device was in debug mode. If I took it out of debug mode, the OS would recognize it without needing to install the drivers.

I must have messed up when I was following Adobe instructions listed on Connect Google Android Devices. I even returned to the original android_winusb.inf

Directory containing android_winusb.inf

Directory containing android_winusb.inf

file indicated in these directions to add the XOOM device. The blue tube interactive site provided a more definitive example which is available at this link.

The final issue I had was trying to install the .apk file onto the device with all my connection issues. The solution for me was to go to my exportFile directory(Export build package directory location) where the apk file was output and right click on this file. One of the choices was to “Install on Connected Devices”. I could toggle the state of XOOM from debug mode to regular mode and in the regular mode it appeared to be able to connect to install the desired file.

Other links I referenced during this device wrestling match were:
Deploy an application on a mobile device

Package applications for Google Android Devices

Troubleshoot driver error

Installation and deployment options in Adobe AIR 3

Manage Launch configurations

Export a release version of an application

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: